Our Hardwood Floor Sanding & Refinishing Process
Rhodes Hardwood uses a full 10 step restoration process!
- Preparation: Rhodes Hardwood takes all precautions possible to help return your home in the condition it was before we started. We hang plastic over cabinets and in doorways to help contain any dust our machines don’t collect.
- Sanding: Next we sand the floor using a 3 step sanding progression of a rough, medium and fine grit sand paper. We will never use a rough grit paper when it’s not needed just to get the job done faster, this eats away at the life of your floor. We even have special sanders that can sand under radiators, cabinets and in other tight spaces.
- Buffing: After sanding we then buff the floor with a 2 step buffing process. This smoothes out the floor and blends all of the areas together. Our first buffing is done with a fine grit sand paper, then to get the floor extra smooth we use an even finer grit sanding screen and buff again.
- Corners: In corners of the rooms and other tight spaces, we still use the old method of hand scraping these. This lets us blend the corners in perfectly with the rest of the floor.
- Cleaning: After all sanding, buffing, and scraping is done, we do a very through job of cleaning. This includes vacuuming floors, walls, counters etc. Having a clean working area allows us to get the best possible finish on the floor.
- Staining: Here is where we add the stain if you wanted to change the floors color. We use a water treatment before all stain jobs, this opens the pores of the wood to get the richest most even stain job possible. If you just want the natural beauty of the floors to shine through, we skip this step and move on to step 7, sealing the floor. See our stain colors
- Sealing: Rhodes Hardwood offers several options for the base coat (seal coat) of your floors. Want the project to be done sooner and with very little toxins; we can use a waterbased seal coat. Waterbased sealers are completely clear and dry in about an hour. Or if you want a more ambered patina, we can use an oil based seal coat. Or how about an ambered patina with low toxins, we can do this too with use of Bona Amberseal. Or we can even do the coloring, sealing, and finishing in one convenient application with non-toxic Rubio.
- Finishing: After the staining or base coating, we then lightly abrade the floor with a very fine sandpaper on our buffing machines. Then we apply the finish coating of your choice in the sheen level of your choice. See our finishes
- Intercoat Abrasion: After your finish has dried completely, we then buff the floors again. This extra step will buff out any debris that may have gotten into the finish, and help us get the smoothest finished floor possible. We then apply another finish coating, let it dry, and buff the floor again.
- Final Coat: After we have stained or sealed your floor, added 2 coatings and buffed & vacuumed between each coat, we then apply the final finish coating. Using a total of 3 full finish coatings produces a floor that will last for years to come.